Car accidents are unfortunately a common occurrence, and Huntsville, Alabama is no exception. In fact, the Alabama Department of Transportation reports that there were over 9,600 crashes in Madison County (which includes Huntsville) in 2020 alone. If you find yourself in a car accident, it’s important to know what to do to ensure your safety, protect your legal rights, and get the help you need. Here are the key steps to take after a car accident in Huntsville, Alabama.
After a car accident, ensuring everyone’s safety is the top priority. If possible, move your vehicle off the road to a safe location to prevent further accidents. If you cannot move your vehicle, turn on your hazard lights to alert other drivers of the accident.
If it’s safe to do so, get out of your vehicle and check on the other people involved in the accident. Do not attempt to move anyone who is unconscious or has neck or back pain, as this could cause further injury. Instead, wait for emergency responders to arrive and follow their instructions.
If you have warning triangles or flares, set them up around the accident scene to alert other drivers. This can help prevent further accidents and keep everyone safe.
It’s important to remain calm and composed after a car accident, even if you’re feeling overwhelmed or upset. Take deep breaths and focus on ensuring everyone’s safety. Avoid arguing or placing blame, as this can escalate the situation and make it more difficult to resolve later on.
Call for Help
Calling for help after a car accident is essential, even if it seems like a minor accident. The police or emergency services will be able to assess the situation and determine if anyone needs medical attention. They can also provide assistance with moving the vehicles out of the way of traffic or setting up warning signals to prevent further accidents.
When you call 911 or the local police, make sure to provide as much information as possible about the accident. This includes the location of the accident, the number of vehicles involved, the extent of any injuries, and any other relevant details. Be prepared to give your name and contact information, as well as your insurance information.
When the emergency services arrive, follow their instructions carefully. If they ask you to move your vehicle, do so as quickly and safely as possible. If they ask you to stay in your vehicle, do not attempt to move until instructed to do so.
In addition to calling the police or emergency services, you may also want to contact your insurance company after a car accident. Your insurance company can help you file a claim and provide guidance on what to do next. However, it’s important to be careful when speaking with insurance adjusters, as they may try to minimize your claim or deny it altogether. If you’re unsure about what to say or how to handle the situation, contact an experienced personal injury attorney for guidance.
Document the Accident
Documenting the accident can be important for insurance purposes and if you need to file a legal claim later on. Here are some steps you can take to document the accident:
- Collect names and contact information: Get the names and contact information of all drivers, passengers, and witnesses involved in the accident. This can include names, phone numbers, and email addresses.
- Take photos or videos: Use your smartphone or camera to take photos or videos of the accident scene, damage to the vehicles, injuries, and any other relevant details. Make sure to take photos of the license plates of all vehicles involved.
- Write down details: Write down any details you remember about the accident, including the time, date, location, weather conditions, and any other relevant factors. This can help you remember important details later on.
- Draw a diagram: If possible, draw a diagram of the accident scene, including the position of the vehicles, any skid marks, and any other relevant details.
It’s important to document the accident as soon as possible after it occurs, while the details are still fresh in your mind. Make sure to keep all of your documentation in a safe place, as you may need it later on.
If you’re unsure about what information to collect or how to document the accident, an experienced personal injury attorney can provide guidance and support. They can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected.
Seek Medical Attention
After a car accident, seeking medical attention is important, even if you don’t think you’re injured. Some injuries, such as whiplash, concussions, and internal injuries, may not be immediately apparent but can have serious long-term consequences.
Here are some steps you can take to seek medical attention after a car accident:
- Call for medical help: If anyone is injured, call for medical help immediately. Even if there are no visible injuries, it’s still a good idea to get a medical evaluation as soon as possible.
- Follow up with your doctor: Even if you don’t need emergency medical attention, it’s important to follow up with your doctor after a car accident. They can evaluate you for any underlying injuries and provide treatment if necessary.
- Keep records of your medical care: Make sure to keep records of all medical care related to the car accident, including doctor’s appointments, hospital visits, and any treatments or medications prescribed.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions: Follow your doctor’s instructions for recovery, including any restrictions on physical activity or work.
Seeking medical attention after a car accident is not only important for your health, but it can also be important for your legal case. Medical records can provide evidence of your injuries and the extent of your damages, which can help you get the compensation you deserve. See this blog on “Traumatic Brain Injury After an Accident in Alabama” for more information.
If you’re unsure about where to seek medical attention, an experienced personal injury attorney can provide guidance and support. They can help you find a doctor who is experienced in treating car accident injuries and ensure that your medical needs are taken care of.
Contact an Attorney to Discuss What To Do After a Car Accident
After a car accident, it’s important to contact an experienced personal injury attorney. They can provide guidance and support throughout the legal process and help you navigate complex insurance and legal issues.
An attorney can help you:
- Evaluate your case: An attorney can review the details of your case and help you determine if you have a strong legal claim.
- Negotiate with insurance companies: Insurance companies may try to minimize your claim or deny it altogether. An attorney can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf and help you get the compensation you deserve.
- File a lawsuit: If negotiations with insurance companies are unsuccessful, an attorney can help you file a lawsuit and advocate for your rights in court.
It’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible after a car accident. This can help ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you get the compensation you deserve. Check out this blog “What to Expect When Meeting with a Personal Injury Lawyer” for more information.
When choosing an attorney, look for someone with experience handling car accident cases in Huntsville, Alabama. They should be knowledgeable about Alabama’s car accident laws and have a proven track record of success. You should also feel comfortable working with them and confident in their ability to advocate for your rights. If you need legal assistance after a car accident in Huntsville, the experienced attorneys at Siniard Law are here to help. Contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your case and your legal options. We’ll work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.
Being involved in a car accident can be a stressful and traumatic experience. However, by taking the right steps after an accident, you can protect your legal rights and get the compensation you deserve. Remember to seek medical attention, document the accident, contact an attorney, and be careful what you say to insurance companies. If you’re unsure about what to do after a car accident, an experienced personal injury attorney can provide guidance and support, such as Siniard Law. By working with an attorney, you can navigate the legal process with confidence and focus on your recovery.