Being injured in a car accident can leave you with many question. Here are some helpful things to know after being in a car accident.
The Rules of the Road
Alabama has statutes that govern how we are supposed to drive our vehicles. These are often referred to as the “Rules of the Road.” If someone violates a rule of the road and causes a car accident, then they were negligent and are liable for the injuries you suffered. However, if you violated a rule of the road and contributed to the wreck, then you could lose your case due to Alabama’s contributory negligence doctrine. If you’re unsure as to who was at fault in the wreck, of if both parties are at fault, take a look at the Alabama Rules of the Road.
See Alabama’s Rules of the Road
How to Get an Alabama Motor Vehicle Crash Report
There are a few different ways to get an accident report after a car wreck. The easiest way is to download the crash report for $15 at the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency’s website.
Filing a Car Insurance Claim
There are numerous car insurance companies, many of which have online options available to file a claim for injuries or for damage to your vehicle. Here are the claims reporting sites of some of the most common car insurance companies:
First Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Alabama
Here is a list of what you should do after being in a car accident in Alabama.
- Call 911
- Get witness’s contact information
- Seek medical treatment at the ER if you have any pain
- Follow up with your family doctor after the ER
- Report the wreck to your insurance company
- Have a family member report the wreck to the other driver’s insurance company
- Get a copy of the accident report
- Call a personal injury lawyer located in the geographic region where the wreck occurred.